The company with whom you contract to transport your vehicle should provide adequate insurance to protect against driver negligence. Ask for a copy of the “certificate of insurance” and familiarize yourself with the types of coverage provided. Most car moving companies specifically exclude road damage, damage or theft of personal items left in the car, small nicks & dents, and glass breakage. If you want to verify or supplement the coverage, call your current automobile insurance agent.

Beware of shipping your car with a company that is exclusively a “broker.” Many of these companies do not own auto carriers and depend upon the carrier that actually carries your car to provide insurance. If the truck driver’s insurance coverage has lapsed for any reason, you will be unprotected.